Editing podcasts can be a lot of work, and when clients provide files late or make last-minute changes, it can be frustrating.
As you already know, getting late files can be a HUGE disruption to your business and your life. But what should you do about it? Should you charge a punitive fee? Should you push back due dates? Should you just fire the client?
Yeah, there are options, but navigating them isn't necessarily easy and, ultimately, it's up to you to decide what's best for your business.
If you find that late files are becoming a regular problem, it may be worth instituting a policy that charges extra for them. This will help to offset the extra work that you have to put in, and it will also send a message to your clients that such behavior is not acceptable.
So what do you think? Should editors charge extra for late podcast files? Listen and share your thoughts.
This episode is sponsored by Podcast Editor Academy
Are you looking to start or improve your podcast editing business? To turn your DAW into dollars (or your favorite currency)? If so, check out Podcast Editor Academy and use the code "YETIS" to get your first 30 days free!
Links And Resources
- Podcast Editors Conference - A one-day immersive and collaborative in-person event designed to build and grow your service based business.
- Podcast Editors Academy - The place where you belong includes a community with knowledge and support for Podcast Editors who take their service offerings seriously.
- India Inc.’s Day Care Experiment – Foreign Policy - The study that Steve referenced. Adding a late fee didn't curb the unwanted behavior, it converted it from a relational faux pas to a transactional cost; the result was MORE tardiness.
- Podcast Editors Club (on Facebook) - If you're a podcast editor, THIS is the group you need to be part of in order to connect, collaborate, and learn alongside other professional editors.
About Steve Stewart
Steve Stewart is a podcast editor, and cofounder of both the Podcast Editors Club and the Podcast Editor Academy.
Join Us Live!
This episode of the Podcast Editors Mastermind was edited by Alejandro Ramirez. You can find him on Facebook if you're interested in talking with him about editing your show.
Be a Guest
If you're a podcast editor, we'd love to see if you'd be a fit for a future episode. Fill out this form to let us know you're interested, and we'll contact you to see if it's a good fit.
Your Yetis Are
- Daniel Abendroth | Roth Media
- Carrie Caulfield Arick | YaYa Podcasting
- Bryan Entzminger | Top Tier Audio
About the Podcast Editors Mastermind
The Podcast Editors Mastermind is for professional podcast editors who want to grow their business and get more clients. We’re creating a community of like-minded professionals that are passionate about the art and science of editing podcasts.
Our goal is to help you build your business by providing tools, resources, and support so you can focus on what matters most—your craft. This isn’t just another group where everyone talks about how great they are at podcast editing; we show our work!
Follow or subscribe and take the Podcast Editors Mastermind with you today!